Software Engineering and data intern
Who We Are
We see a world where meditation is a fundamental part of every individual's daily hygiene. A world where the people around you have cultivated the capacity to become their best selves in the same way they cultivated better teeth.
This is the world we are building.
Core Wellness is an early stage startup made of a tight-knit team of bright individuals motivated to make this vision a reality.
What We're Building
Have you tried meditation before, but had trouble sticking to it? Do you remember feeling like you were not doing it right? You are not alone! Learning to meditate is hard; it takes practice. But it doesn't have to be a chore. We are building the product to make meditation more tangible, more practical, and more engaging so that it can work in everyone's life.
We have developed a unique physical meditation tool combined with a personalized learning system to make meditation work for everyone. Core's device sits out on your nightstand or desk, not thrown in a drawer and forgotten, to serve as your daily reminder to continue your practice. When you pick the device up it will guide you into your meditation using a combination of unique forms of feedback, content, and live instructors. Using advanced biosensors in the device, Core provides you with insights about your nervous system during your meditation finally closing the feedback loop. Over time, Core learns from your body, mind, and your practice to provide tips and recommendations on how to accelerate your mastery of meditation.
Where We Are
We have been testing and iterating for years, refining the product experience to make it stand out above the rest . Now we are ready to scale our entire team to get this product to market as fast as possible. This will be the most exciting and most critical time for Core. With this comes the opportunity for you to make a huge impact on Core, Core's customers, and the future of meditation.
We are currently part of the Bolt Hardware Accelerator in San Francisco's SoMa district near Cal Train in a beautiful new building boasting a nice kitchen, garden patio and other ammenities with a dynamic, creative community of hardware entrepreneurs. We also have special access to Autodesk's Pier 9 Workshop complete with a world class CNC shop, wood shop, metal shop, 3D Printers and more - it's any maker's dreamland.
Who You Are
You are a bright, motivated, dynamic software engineer who wants to bring meditation to more people around the world. You know you can make a difference in a small team of talented entrepreneurs and engineers.
What You'll Do
Our primary goal for our software and data intern: to develop a data dashboard to aggregate and visualize information about product usage patterns so that we can keep a daily pulse on how our population of users are interacting with our devices. Your software will pull data off our Postgres database on AWS/EC2, process it and visualize it.
We will need some non-trivial condition-based (interactive) visualizations such as how many users have meditated at least X sessions in the last Y days (or: from date Y to date Z), where X, Y and Z are modifiable directly on the dashboard front end, in addition to simpler metrics such as cumulative number of meditation minutes added and total active users in the last X days.
- Enthusiastic problem solver and open minded collaborator
- Plenty of CS and practical software engineering experience
- Some understanding of databases and servers
- Some SQL query building experience
- Interest in UI/visualization
- Ability to iteratively turn requirements into solutions
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Balances scrappiness and rigor to get the task done
- Prior experience with data dashboard construction or building automatically updated plots
- Advanced SQL query building experience
- Skills in statistics and/or data science
- Practical understanding of database development (bonus points for Postgres) and interaction (e.g. REST API)
- Experience with AWS/EC2 ecosystem
- If we go with a Python + Plotly + Dash solution:
- Experience in Python
- Experience with Python data tools such as NumPy and Pandas
- Experience with Plotly
- UI/UX experience and capability
- Experience with any biofeedback signals, ideally ECG or HRV (Heart Rate Variability)
- Deep curiosity and interest in psychology and human well-being
* We are an equal opportunity employer who believes a diverse team is better at tackling complex problems and coming up with innovative solutions. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, class, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
** We are currently unable to sponsor any visas at the moment, but check back in with us in a few months for updates!